Don't Speak, Seek

God is everywhere.  It is an inarguable fact.  The Bible clearly states, "Neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor demons, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39).

That could be the end of this post and perhaps two days ago, it would have been.  But since then I have heard something that struck me to the core and challenged me to take a second look at my life.  In writing about a film character, a fellow classmate noted, "He was always talking to God and never seeking Him."

Woah.  Can you say convicting?  I believe I take for granted the fact that God is everywhere.  No need to seek Him because He's right here.  And yet, if this were true, why would the Bible also say, "You will seek me and find me" (Jeremiah 29:13) if it wasn't necessary to do so?

Think of it like this: Technology allows us to reach and communicate nearly anyone, anywhere in the world, in a matter of seconds.  You can pick up the phone and call them, Skype them, text them, Snapchat them, Facebook them... your options are numerous.  But no amount of such communication will begin to form the bound that develops when that person is standing in front of you, in the flesh, a shoulder to lean on and open arms to comfort you.

Similarly, God is always with us, but it is not until we learn to seek Him, through His word, through prayer, and through intentional conversations, relationships, and observations, that we will begin to form a deep, sacred bond with Him.  God is not the man you meet at the end... He is the tour guide, along every step of the way, and it would probably improve the journey if we got to know Him.

Unfortunately, unlike simply existing alongside Him, seeking God is not easy.  That verse I stated earlier, it wasn't the whole story.  That would be convenient, but it is not the case.  Instead, God says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

At first, it may be difficult to seek God with our entire heart.  We tear it up and portion it out to so many things: to romantic relationships, to dreams, and to idols. But the more we find God, the more we will long for Him.  When we begin to realize the extent of His love for us, it will drive us into His arms.  

It starts with the simple decision.  It starts with an intentional choice.  It starts with a bowed head and a humbled heart that declares, "Lord, I don't want to speak with you.  I want to seek you."

Comments

Popular Posts