Living Sacrifice

If we give up our entire lives to God as He asks, what have we to gain?

This is a question I cannot answer entirely here for two reasons.  First, this would not be a post; it would be a book.  Volumes of books.  Second, I don't feel that I can entirely answer this question, partly because it's hard to explain and partly because I haven't grasp the concept in its entirety.

Nevertheless, I wish to share with you something I realized today.

Laying my life at God's feet has always felt somewhat counterproductive.  Would it not be more useful for me to work for Him, to do good for Him?  How, in giving up my life entirely, do I gain?  It's a selfish question, but the Bible seems to suggest that turning your life over to God results in a sort of freedom.  How is serving God any more freeing than serving earthly desires?

These seem basic and rudimentary questions, but I believe most of us struggle with them at the very core of our being.  It would be more impressive if we discussed heavy philosophy, but if we cannot admit our confusion in basic beliefs, how are we to follow God?

When I ask myself the question of  how true freedom can exist only in God, I began to think in terms of slavery.  There are many different types of slavery: debt slavery, sex slavery, forced slavery, slavery by descent.  Yet, there is only one kind of freedom.  Does this mean that, because there is only one kind of freedom, it is any less freeing?  Of course not!

Paul writes in Romans 12:1, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy  to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-- this is your true and proper worship."

Being in a relationship with God is our natural state.  However, this does not mean it is the easiest choice for us.  Sin nature means that it is easy for us to give in to our sinful desires, but even still we were created to live in relationship with God.

As Chuck Swindoll put it, " The problem with living sacrifices is that they keep crawling off the alter."

We must ask ourselves, are we willing to fight ourselves to stay on the alter?  Are we willing to struggle if it means peace?  Are we willing to sacrifice our weak desires if it means freedom?

Because living for God isn't easy.  It's a wrestling match; the easy versus the holy.  What will you fight for?

Comments

Popular Posts