A Look Back at New Year's


At the beginning of this year I was inspired by Shane Claiborne to write a list of goals for 2013.  He does it every year, and I loved the idea... so I borrowed it.   Today I'm going to share my list with you. Feel free to hold me accountable to the things I'm about to tell you. In fact, I'd love it if you would.  More than that, though, I hope you are inspired to make a similar list of your own. It's not January 1st, but it's never too late to start.

13 Hopes for 2013

1. "Rather than emphasizing the best of myself and finding the worst in others-- let me work on the worst in myself and look for the best in others." -as borrowed from Shane Claiborne

2. Talk less, listen more. Learn people's stories. Remember that sometimes people don't need advice, they just want a listening ear.

3. Get more sleep. Specifically, go to bed earlier. That way, I can feel more refreshed and still have plenty of daylight hours.

4. Write beautifully. Finish a story, even if it's a short story. But remember to seek a high quality of words rather than a high quantity.

5. Read more theology. Some CS Lewis and the names of other great men I will hopefully come to know.

6. Journal more. Spend more time in silent reflection. Set more goals, think deeper thoughts, seek higher heights.

7. Travel. (:

8. Discover the power of prayer. Learn what it means to be a prayer warrior. Then, utilize this gift.

9. "I wanna thrive, not just survive." -Switchfoot. Find God in mundane, everyday situations. See the eternal glory of daily life. Stop and enjoy the little bit of heaven in simple things: a sunset, the ocean, a baby's laughter.

10. Be spontaneous! Learn to trust God more. Make less plans. Say yes more. Don't let fear be the beast that keeps you from reaching opportunity.

11. Eat less food, but eat more good food. Live by the culinary clichés: quality over quantity, a little goes a long way, and (of course) an apple a day keeps the doctor away. And as mom always says, "Drink more water!"

12. Don't operate in crisis mode. Relax. Breathe. It's going to be okay. Take yourself a little less seriously. But also don't depend on something becoming a crisis to motivate you. Just get it done.

13. Live as the redeemed. Learn the power of redemption. Learn the price paid, the freedom won, and the promises fulfilled. Be grateful. Live thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts