Tips from a Teenage Driver

I like to think I'm a pretty good driver.  I mean, I stop at stop signs, signal when changing lanes, and watch out for "No Turn on Red" signs as much as the next guy.  But I do have one little issue when it comes to the road.

I'm nosy.

It's true... at least when it comes to driving.  I always want to know what the person behind me is up to.  What is that guy doing?  Is she texting?  Are they brother and sister or boyfriend and girlfriend?  The problem isn't even necessarily that I care so much about the person in the car behind me.

The problem is that sometimes I am so focused on what's in the rear-view mirror that I start swerving off the road.

How often is this true in life?  I have had so many experiences where I am so focused on my past failures that I miss an opportunity to succeed.  Instead of watching the road ahead of me, my eyes are glued to the rear-view mirror.

But that other person hurt me so much last time!  When I tried this last year, it didn't work out.  Or possibly the worst:  I can't believe I did that, how can anyone ever forgive me?

Why is that the worst question?  Because Jesus died so we would never need to ask it.  God doesn't want our pasts to be stumbling blocks, he wants them to be stepping stones.  He wants us to keep our eyes fixed on him, the road, because it's when we start to swerve away that problems arise.

Of course, just like when you're really driving, it's important to glance behind you in life every once in awhile, just to remind yourself of what's there.  But consider this a warning from a teenage driver: Don't focus on the rear-view mirror.  You'll only end up crashing.

Comments

Popular Posts