From Where I Sit

Perhaps it's because I am so used to it or maybe it is the increasing amounts of studying and decreasing amounts of free time, but regardless of the reason, I consider my daily life nothing to get excited over.  True, I attend a beautiful school, take classes with some of the kindest and most genuine people I have ever met, and work daily with professors and employers I would be happy to one day resemble.  Even still, while I never dread the day ahead of me, I often find myself thinking of my daily life as monotonous or boring.

That's why it's humbling to realize that while you were going about your daily business as though it was just another Sunday or Thursday or Friday, God was using you for a greater plan.

Let me explain.

At Indiana Wesleyan, I have the pleasure of working for the admissions department, hosting prospective students overnight and allowing them to get a taste of daily life on campus.  I like the job because I was just in their shoes last year, spending the night with college students whose attitudes often affected my view of the school.  Also, it's a nice way to earn a little extra spending money.

A few months ago, I hosted a student who was already fairly certain she was attending another college. We had a fun night, decorating a gingerbread man, hanging out with some of my friends, and having good conversation over coffee.  I said goodbye the next morning, thinking that was the end of it.

Today, I ran into her on campus, again.  This may have not been odd, except that she is from the East Coast, and the Mid-West is a long way to go to see a school again that you aren't planning on attending.  I had a chance to sit and talk with her, though, and she filled me in on how she has started to feel God calling her to Indiana Wesleyan, and as a result, her plans for next year are beginning to look different than she had previously thought.

My point?  1 Corinthians 10:31, a quite popular verse, tells us, "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  The value in this verse has just recently struck me.  Often times, when God uses us to His purposes, we are completely unaware.  From where we sit, we are simply going about our everyday lives, oblivious to how many people we are touching in the process.  Still He is using us, and it would be such a shame to pass up a chance to be used by God simply because we were unable to demonstrate His glory in that situation.

So, next time you are annoyed in the grocery line or make eye contact with that old acquaintance you never had the time to get to know, just remember... God can use you for His plan in whatever you do, as long as you are willing do it for His glory.

Comments

Popular Posts