The End

It's a creeping habit that sneaks up on me when I least expect it.  It's not that I mean to do it, it's just that sometimes I get so busy that I don't have time to sit down and straighten out my priorities when they get out of line.  The next thing I know, I'm doing it again.

The distractions pull at the corner of my mind and stress begins to blow things out of proportion.  I need something to get me through.  I need someone to tell me it will be all right.  I need some guarantee that I can do this.

And then, I remember Him... the Big Guy Upstairs.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Great, thanks God!  But then I run into a problem.  So I pray.  And through the process of much prayer and divine intervention, things begin to work out.  Soon, I am faced with a tough decision and I ask for discernment, just to be certain I am making the right decision.

Consulting God and leaning on Him during the busier times in life is a beautiful thing.  But too often when this happens, I begin to notice a shift in my thinking-- one that is dangerous and needs to be addressed.

Because the more distracted I get, the more I begin to view God as a means to an end rather than and end in itself.

I see Him as the answer to my questions, the Almighty one who can use His power to step in when things get too big for me to handle.  In the meantime, I stop seeing Him for who He truly is, a beautiful and loving God who deserves more praise than I could ever dream of giving Him.  He is the Alpha, Omega, Beginning and End.

Just as it would be rude of me to treat a friend as a tool to reach my goals and get through the struggles of life, it would be rude of me to do the same to God.  And yet, so often I find myself doing just that.  It is in these moments that I take a deep breathe, set aside a few moments, and spend them in God's presence, reflecting on who He is and the fact that my problems pale in comparison to His beauty.

He is not a means to an end.  He is THE End... one so beautiful it leaves me wanting for nothing.

"Be still and know that I am God;  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." -Psalm 46:10

Comments

Popular Posts