Pulling Weeds

People often laugh when I tell them I am a handyman.  I don't really blame them, I still get a little giggle out of it myself.  In fact, when I first started my job, which is a mix between repairing things around my boss' home and doing her landscaping, I knew very little about either task.

Along the way, I have learned many important lessons.  For example, it's probably not a good idea to lock your boss out of the house or use weed killer on the lawn.  I've also acquired odd skills, such as polishing silver or replanting grass.  I've even made a few new friends; Ace Hardware is practically on my speed dial by now.

There is one particular task, though, that is never-ending, and as a result, I have mastered it-- weed pulling.  That's right, ladies and gentleman, I am a master weed puller.  If there's one thing that has been repeatedly reinforced on the job, it's that plants are easy to kill and weeds are nearly impossible.  The problem?  Getting out the root.

If you feel a metaphor building, good job!  You're getting the hang of this.

Sin in our life is often easily identifiable, like weeds.  I'm too mean to my siblings, I lied about this, or I continually give into temptation in this area.  We reach down and yank the sin from our life with determined resolve, perhaps after a convicting sermon or a mission trip.  However, too often, we fail to reach the root of the problem.

Why are you rude to your siblings?  Is it jealousy?  Is it pride?  Is it an inability to forgive a past infraction or quality?  If we simply decide to better people without looking for the root of our sin, it will often grow back-- maybe in the same way or maybe manifested in a different form, but it will grow back none the less.

The only way to truly destroy a weed is to kill it from the root up.  Pulling the entire thing out yourself is nearly impossible.  Never fear, though, modern science has a solution: ROUND-UP.  God, too, has given us a metaphorical Round-up to kill sin from the root up.  It is best known as the Holy Spirit.  Only God has the ability to pinpoint and free us from the exact source of our sin.  He longs to remove the barriers that separate us from Him, if only we would ask.

This is my challenge to you.  Pick up the Round-up and the gardening gloves and get ready to put your back into some serious gardening.  Weeding may not be the most glorious of tasks, but it prepares the garden to produce an abundant crop.

Comments

Popular Posts