Rest

This blog has been a great platform for me to speak out about some of the issues I see in the world, the church, and my own life.  I often try to challenge my readers, and myself, to become better followers of Christ.  This is something that I believe is a very worthwhile focus.

But today, I will not be talking about that.

It is very important to discuss what things we need to change in our lives, but if this is all we think that Christianity is about, then I am afraid we have severely missed the point.  Christ came to spread a message of hope for the oppressed and strength for the weak, and if we disregard this part of his message, then we misunderstand him entirely.

Often times, the world tells us we are defined by our achievements, our mistakes, the qualities we have, or the way we look.  This puts extreme pressure on us, especially when combined with Christianity.  The man who tries to earn his salvation will always be an exhausted and failing man.  The beauty is that Christ says, "Quit trying!  You can't do it.  So I have done it for you.  You need not earn this forgiveness, it has already been payed for in my blood."

Thus, there is freedom for those who believe the gospel of Christ.  We need not slave away to attempt to earn approval from anyone.  We can come to the Lord, exhausted from constantly trying to prove we are strong enough or good enough or worthy enough.  We can come as failures and He will restore us.  With His grace, we will truly be enough.

This idea is painted beautifully in the end of Matthew 11 when Christ says, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Sometimes, we don't need to be told what we are doing wrong.  Sometimes, what we need most is not a clear description of our faults.  I know this.  So today, I want to tell you something different.  I simply wish to remind you that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.  When you choose to take up that yoke, and lay down your own at His feet... well, then you have finally found rest for your soul.

Comments

Popular Posts