The Poor Widow


Whenever I am asked how my El Salvador trip was, I have to pause before answering.  I can still feel the deep heartbreak of the peoples’ stories, the complete satisfaction of knowing I was exactly where God wanted me this summer, and the elating joy of a people who trust God with all their hearts.  I see the faces of those I met along the way: Rosa, the little, fireball of a woman living in a squatters’ village, Christain and Fefo, the neighbor boys whose teasing is a blessing simply because it is accompanied by their brilliant smiles, and Augustina, my host mother whose family spent four nights sleeping on the ground so they could give us their beds.

Honestly, I usually just say I had a good time because it’s much easier than trying to describe the swirl of emotions and memories the words “El Salvador” stir in my heart.

You see, our youth group went to El Salvador hoping to give some of ourselves to the people there.  Early on in the trip, it became apparent that they were giving much more to us than we could have ever offered.

I would love to tell you the stories of all the people I met.  Next time you see me, ask me for a few (and you should probably give me a time limit as well).  But just the stories will not give you even a glimpse of the heart of the Salvadorans.  You must realize that with each heart-breaking narrative, there was a person whose smile speaks of their genuine happiness and whose hospitality surpasses anything you could ever imagine. 

Upon my return, I read the story of a poor widow who is praised by Jesus when she gives the only two coins she has to live on as an offering.  I went to El Salvador and I met that widow.  Her name is Rosa.  Or Ruby.  Or Lasaro.  Or Felipe.  Or Edith.  Or Santos.  She is the millions of names I was never able to learn, the hundreds of people living around the world who are just like the ones we were working with.

I wouldn't say I made a huge impact on world poverty or even on many of the issues in El Salvador.  But I would most definitely say that this trip had a huge impact on me.  I return a person who will not only be more thankful for my blessings and more conscious of my opportunities, but also one who will be more intentional about loving people.

Comments

Popular Posts