More

Two years ago, I prayed and asked God to lead me to the college where he wanted me.

Never did I imagine how torn I would feel on the journey there.  It was a constant struggle, trying so desperately not to wrestle my college decision back from God.  I wanted clear answers and direction, and God was choosing to remain silent.  I had so many wonderful opportunities before me, and no direct leading from God.

But slowly, doors began to close.  This one didn't have my major, that one was too expensive.  With each door that closed, I felt a tug of sadness.  Some of the schools were ones I really liked.  Then, one night, I knew.  Indiana Wesleyan.

I think by that point, I was just glad to be able to commit to a college.  I signed up, sent in my deposit, and called it a day.

Then, a week ago, Indiana Wesleyan stood before me, no longer the future, but the present.  Suddenly, I felt a twinge in my heart.  What if this wasn't where I was supposed to be?  What if I had just settled on a college?  What if, what if?

The devil lives for the "what ifs" and the fearful doubt he can stir in our hearts.  It doesn't matter the situation, if the devil can distract us from the joys and issues of the present with a barrage of "what ifs," he will succeed in distracting us from the Lord.  When we worry about the future, we waste time over being frantic about things that may never happen instead of being present in what actually is happening.  Instead, God says, "Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself" (Matthew 6:34).  We were never meant to bear the burden of "what may happen."

I have not yet been at Indiana Wesleyan for a week, but already God has made it clear that He can use me here.  In Ephesians 3:20, Paul describes God as "him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."  As I reflect on this verse, I realize two things.  First, that it has become exceedingly real to me over the past week.  When I asked God to lead me to a college, never did I expect a place so beautiful and Christ-centered as this.

But the other thing I realize is that God did not work within this university to make it perfect for me.  He did not remove every temptation, frustration, or struggle.  Instead, as the verse states, He is at work within me.  He has given me the strength and peace it will take to persevere over the challenges that I would face.  And that is more than I had ever asked for or imagined.  Immeasurably more.

Comments

Popular Posts