There Is Power

I have referenced in previous posts "the power of the cross," but tonight I feel convicted by the fact that I am simply repeating phrases I have heard preached to me.  I know the cross has power, but have I ever considered what kind, or how much, or over what, or why?  I have not yet considered these things.  Instead, I have simply been repeating the phrase without an understanding, rendering the it "powerless" to transform my life.  Ironic, I know.

Before I can understand the power of the cross, though, I must understand the power of death.  Death: even the word itself has a sad ring to it.   We don't like to think about, dwell on it, or stand up to it.  Perhaps, because we are powerless to it.  You may be a wonderful Christian.  You may change lives, sacrifice your happiness and comfort, and love God with all your heart, but death will still take you in the end.  Eventually, it overcomes everything.

All of those we love, all those we hold dear, they will all eventually succumb to death.  Sooner or later, but eventually.  It doesn't matter how you live your life, death has the final say.

Thus is the truth of death.  And that truth has been broken, so that it is now only a shadowless falsehood.

The power of the cross lies not in what it is (a wooden, Roman torture device).  It cannot be found in what happened there (the death of Jesus Christ).  Instead, it will be discovered in what is not found at the cross... the cross is empty.

Death conquered life for three days.  Now love has overcome death for the rest of eternity.  That is the power of the cross.  Death no longer has the last say.  We will not be silenced.  God will now be praised for all of eternity, from age to age.  We will no longer be robbed of the life God breathed into us at the beginning of creation.

We have been restored to our former glory.  To His former glory.  We can now look our most powerful enemy directly in the face and declare in a certain voice, "Oh death, where is your victory?  Oh death, where is your sting?"  We have overcome the grave.

"Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery" (Hebrews 2:14-15).


Comments

Popular Posts