Soar

I grow weary.

I get up at 7:50 after a long night of doing nothing and calling it studying.  My alarm goes off and it's just too stinkin' early because for goodness sake not even the sun is up.  I go to brush my teeth and that crusty dried up toothpaste is all around the top even though I washed it off yesterday.  The clothes I wanted to wear are in the laundry I still haven't done so I have to find something different and by the time I get it all together it's too late to make breakfast.

Somebody took my seat in class and I have to sit somewhere different with people I don't know as well.  Don't they know that's my seat?!

During lunch the dining hall is serving something that tastes vaguely the same as yesterday and the day before.   I wonder if these people have never heard of spices.

I forgot to do my homework for my next class until I show up and everyone is talking about it.  Of course I'll lose points for it even though it was just pointless busy work.  Then the teacher lectures the whole period and it takes all my physical strength to stay awake because I had to wake up at 7:50, of course.  Who even thought having classes that early would be a good idea in the first place?

I spend the next few hours doing homework that is either too easy to be worth my time or too hard to be reasonable.  Then dinner, which tastes like lunch, but I overeat anyway.  Then between Facebook and the entire rest of the Internet domain as well as the ridiculous amount of cool people that seem to show up when homework needs to be done, it's past 12 before I crawl wearily into bed.  After cleaning of the toothpaste tube.  Again.

Of days like this and all the millions of other annoying and pointless things I face daily, I grow weary.  I grow weary because they wear me down.  I grow weary because they seem so meaningless.  I grow weary because tomorrow will be the same.

Then, laying in bed, I blink my eyes open and roll over.  I've forgotten something.  Moaning, I reach for my Bible, flipping it open to a random page.  One more thing to check off the list, I begin to read the final verses of Isaiah 40.

"The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth...  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; the will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint."

Hope jolts me awake.  With just a few words, my strength has been renewed.  Tomorrow will not be the same.   Tomorrow will be new.  It holds its own promises, its own potential, and its own opportunity.  Tomorrow is a ready mission field, a surprise waiting to be discovered, an unopened love letter.  I have no idea what tomorrow will hold, but I do know one thing: God will be there.  And that, if nothing else, will give me a reason to soar.

Comments

Popular Posts