Satisfied?

If you are reading these words, I have sufficient reason to believe you are living.  I do not question this fact.  The thing I wonder sometimes, is not whether we are living, but whether we are alive.

There comes a time in every person's life when they reach a point where they have to ask themselves," What am I doing, and why am I doing this?"  I know because I've been there.  Frankly, the answer can be terrifying.  But perhaps the most terrifying thing would be to have no answer at all.  

So I challenge you tonight: do you want to survive, or do you want to thrive?

I was reading Psalm 104 yesterday when I was struck particularly hard by verses 27 and 28.  "They [the animals] all depend on you to give them food as they need it.  When you supply it, they gather it.  You open your hands to feed them and they are richly satisfied."

As a read these words I had to stop and ask myself, am I richly satisfied?  Just like food nourishes our body, we all need something to give fuel to our souls.  We have plenty of options.  We can be driven by money, desire, power, happiness, guilt, shame, or anger.  But when we chose to allow ourselves to be driven by these things, we eat out of their hands.

Perhaps we can be momentarily satisfied, but nothing can sustain us like the passion and drive that comes from God.  Until we learn to depend on God, we will never be satisfied, let alone richly satisfied.

His hand is open. Will you take what is offered?

Comments

Popular Posts