Wherever You Lead Me

"I will follow, wherever You lead me.  Wherever You are underneath these stars is where I wanna be." -Audio Adrenaline: Strong

I still remember singing this song in El Salvador.  I remember thunderstorm roaring outside, slamming water against the stone tiles at the outside edge of the courtyard.  I remember the way the air hung thick around us, saturated with humidity.  I remember the way my skirt stuck to my ankles as I swayed back and forth to the music.  I remember feeling that in that moment, the words I was singing were true: I would follow God wherever he led me.

And then God did lead me.  Back home.  Suddenly, following Him didn't seem so easy.  I remember wondering, God, how could you ask me to stay here in Carmel, Indiana when you have shown me this kind of need?  What work is there to be done here?

God's answer?  Wait.

Some days I still get frustrated.  I know there is need here and I do what I can to meet it, but I still long for places beyond this one.  In my heart, I always have a suitcase packed.  I'm always ready for the go.  But still, God tells me: wait.

I am the soldier rearing to attack the injustice I see in the world.  God is my general and his command is "not yet."  And no matter how annoyed by this order, I must trust that he sees beyond my view of the battle.  He sees the war.  I have to obey because the more than I do the more I realize: in the journey God has planned for us, there is no layover.  God doesn't waste time waiting for something to happen.

So yes, I will wait.  And while I wait, I will do what any good soldier would do in my position; I will train.

Comments

Popular Posts